Are you familiar with the UMGC’s career tools available to students and alumni? Whether you are entering the workforce, changing careers, or climbing the corporate ladder at your current job, check out UMGC’s career tools to aid you in any step of your career progression.
UMGC’s career tools are accessible in the Tools menu in CareerQuest, UMGC’s career portal. The tools provide students and alumni assistance with their resumes, interviews, career research, career preparation, and professional development.
For resume help, check out:
- Resume Builder: Provides assistance with drafting your first resume. Once created, make your resume public in your CareerQuest profile. This tool also allows you to download your resume as a PDF.
- VMock: Receive 24/7 access to feedback on your resume content and format.
- Resunate: Receive 24/7 access to assistance with customizing your resume for a specific position. Upload a resume and copy/paste a target job description to get started.
To practice your interview skills, use:
- VMock’s Elevator Pitch: Prepares you for in-person and video interviews. Practice and get feedback on your responses, body language, eye contact, and voice quality.
- Interview Stream: Want to practice a specific type of interview question? Choose from more than 7,000 pre-recorded questions to practice your interview skills in a web-based interview. Interviews are recorded for you to watch and/or send to an advisor or mentor.
To research a specific field or to gather preparatory information, visit:
- Vault: Receive industry-specific advice on resumes and interviews, check out day-in-the-life profiles, and more in Vault’s extensive library of electronic career guides. Also review lists of top employers by industry, top internship lists, and more.
- Candid Career: Choose from hundreds of videos to learn more about specific careers directly from professionals in those fields. Review career preparation advice from these professionals on topics like networking, resume writing, navigating a career fair, etc.
In addition to the tools covered, there is a “Search Alerts” feature in CareerQuest that allows users to set alerts to receive an email when specific types of jobs or internships are posted on CareerQuest’s Jobs page. Search Alerts can also let you know when new mentors who match your career preferences join Community Connect, CareerQuest’s online community for networking and mentorship.
If you have any questions about CareerQuest or any of these tools, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or (240) 684-2720.