Mentoring can have a powerful impact on a student’s career development. In honor of National Mentoring Month in January, we’re sharing stories from our students about how this life-changing relationship is helping them shape—and achieve—their professional goals.
A mentor has the power to make a life-changing difference in someone else’s career. In honor of National Mentoring Month this January, we’re sharing insights from some UMGC alumni mentors who are using their time and talent to help students reach their professional goals.
January is National Mentoring Month, a time dedicated to celebrating the career-boosting power of mentoring relationships—especially for students.
“At UMGC, we know that mentoring can make all the difference in someone’s career,” says UMGC Assistant Director of Career Programming Cathy Francois. “That’s why we offer our career mentor program, Community Connect, which helps students and alumni tap into the power of the UMGC community.”
In honor of National Mentoring Month, here’s what some of UMGC’s alumni career mentors have to say about their motivation for mentoring and career insights.
Are you familiar with the UMGC’s career tools available to students and alumni? Whether you are entering the workforce, changing careers, or climbing the corporate ladder at your current job, check out UMGC’s career tools to aid you in any step of your career progression.
Have you ever had a mentor? If you answered “Yes,” then count your blessings. This means you’ve benefited from a seasoned professional who shared his or her hard-earned expertise, insights and networks to help super-charge your career. It also means you’ve given someone the satisfaction of sharing his or her knowledge to make a real difference for an up-and-coming professional.
They’re seasoned professionals who offer their expertise, insights and networks to help you navigate your professional journey—and they don’t ask for anything in return. January is dedicated to celebrating these unsung heroes: mentors.
So you received your diploma—congratulations! Now, you are ready to embark on a new journey. The benefits of earning a college education include better-paying, higher-skilled jobs, and opportunities for career advancement. Below are a few strategies to help you leverage your degree and advance in your career.
Are you an up-and-coming professional looking to jumpstart your career? If so, UMUC has a not-so-secret weapon available to help you succeed: the UMUC Career Mentor Program.
Changing careers can be a difficult and overwhelming process. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average American professional now only stays in a role for about four and a half years. Making a career change can feel like you’re navigating an unknown territory – you might be unsure of which path to take or there might be stumbling blocks in your way. In this type of situation, having a mentor with experience in your desired industry could act as a great guide.
Here are the top five reasons to explore a mentorship in 2018:
- Expand your professional network. These days it is just as much about who you know as it is what you know. By connecting with a mentor in your industry, you not only build a new, valuable relationship, but you also get the opportunity to tap into their professional network. You never know who they might introduce you to!
- Learn to think outside the box. Gaining another perspective can be a great tool for enhancing your performance in the workplace. Mentors can help you see something in a new way, which may alter how you approach certain projects or tasks. Thinking outside the box can also help when you are working with others, because it will help you see a variety of perspectives.
- Define and attain long-term goals. Having professional goals is important, but sometimes they are hard to define and even harder to accomplish. Mentors can help you with identifying your professional goals, and they can also help with creating a game plan for achieving them. Having a plan in place helps boost your confidence as you work toward your goals.
- Push past your limits. Everyone can use a cheerleader or advocate when it comes to professional development. Mentors encourage us to challenge ourselves and to keep growing, and they remind us to never stop working to be better. With a mentor as your guide, you might just surprise yourself with what you are really capable of achieving.
- Hold yourself accountable. Mentors will congratulate you when you do something great, but they will also give you constructive feedback when you need it. Not only will a mentor hold you accountable for reaching your goals, they will also teach you to hold yourself accountable.
Want to learn more about UMUC’s Career Mentor Program? Interested in networking with alumni and current UMUC students? Then join us on January 24 for a chance to attend the LinkUP with UMUC Mentors and Mentee Event, a networking opportunity dedicated to connecting industry experts with future experts!
To learn more about UMUC’s Career Mentor Program, visit CareerQuest today. For additional information on UMUC’s Office of Career Services events and resources, contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.org or 240-684-2720.
On September 29, more than 80 UMUC students and alumni joined the UMUC Career Mentor Program either online or in-person at the Dave & Buster’s in Capitol Heights for the first “Mix and Match” Speed Mentoring Event. The event was designed to help students and alumni build professional connections while learning more about UMUC’s Career Mentor Program.